Tuesday, March 3, 2009

With The Power Of Ale You Can Not Fail!!



Being an huge "music in general" fan I was beginning to believe that I wasn't going to be seeing any new styles of music again, until maybe a new instrument was invented. However, the other night at Backbooth the impossible happened. I was introduced to "True Scottish Pirate Metal" though the music of Alestorm. Looking at the four individuals that make up Alestorm, you wouldn't immediately think, "My face is about to be melted by these guys." You, however, would be wrong. The lead singer, and keytar player, (let that sink in) looks like Weird Al in both physical build and in hair and the bassist looks like Eric Foreman, from That 70s Show, with long hair. Only their guitarist looks like he would actually be in a metal band.
Now with general looks aside I'd like to go back to the fact that the lead singer plays a keytar... Before attending this show I listened to some samples of their music on the internet and really enjoyed the organ that plays throughout the record. It never dawned on me that these noises were emanating from anything other than an actual organ let alone a keytar. Now, with all preconceived notions about the keytar aside, because the music sounded so good, I watched this man proceed to go into about 7-10 keytar solos throughout the set and never once shook my head in disappointment.
The set left me with a smile that wouldn't quit for days and a new found hope that there actually is still original music to be made. if you get the chance, and there's no reason you shouldn't, give Alestorm a listen if for nothing more than a few laughs. A simple search on YouTube will give you a pleathora of songs to listen to, and I'm sure they have a myspace as well. My suggestions are: Set Sail and Conquer, Over the Seas, and Nancy the Tavern Wench.

No comments:

Post a Comment